Why Successful Wo/men Will Do Less in 2011
What if I told you that you could get more done by doing less? Would you believe me?
Would you nod your head like you did believe me, even agree to try some of the crazy things I asked you to try, yet still fall back into your old busy, over doing patterns… you know the ones that keep you feeling overworked and overwhelmed without a clue about how to attain the peace of mind the women on the front of your yoga magazine seems to effortlessly emanates?
I get it. I am a recovering achievement junkie and doing addict myself, programmed to push and push until I get to my goal. One of the reasons it makes it so hard to change that programming is that I have this Inner Mean Girl inside my head who I call ‘Move-the-bar Brenda.’ She is always moving the goal right before I get ‘there.’ No matter if I reach the goal I originally set out for, or that I did more than a team of 10 horses on their best day could accomplish, in her eyes, and therefore in mine, I fall short, and therefore there is more to do. So I have to keep pushing.
In 2011, with the help of my Inner Wisdom, and some inside tips from a few ‘telegrams from heaven’ I received (and have included here for you), Move-the-Bar Brenda is going on vacation, far far away. And she would like to invite your over doing, over achieving, over responsible Inner Mean Girl to go with her!
All you have to do is read these telegrams for heaven, decide how they apply to your life and then take an inside action – change your internal filter to see that maybe, just maybe, you can have a bigger impact (and be happier) if you do less in 2011.
- Select out a few ‘seeds’ – project, focuses, desires – and really focus on protecting, and nurturing those precious few. 2010 was all about throwing lots of seeds out there and seeing what grows. 2011 is about letting many of those seeds go, and only protecting a few. The best analogy I heard was from Pamela Eakins, Phd, whose said imagine last year you threw down lots of seeds and this garden started to grow, and now this year, the goats have arrived, and they are going to start to eat everything up. If you could only save a few seeds what would those be? Build a fence around those, protect and grow those.
- Narrowing your focus and letting go is okay – trust it. So as you choose your specific seeds, you are going to have to let the goats eat the remaining seeds. Which means you will have to let go of ideas, project, goals, to-dos and more. This of course freaks us overdoers and overachievers out. Just know that this act will bring up some fear, and notice when the fear shows up. Calm your Inner Mean Girl down by closing your eyes, breathing. See how letting go frees you up to have more impact in what you do do. This is about activating your Feminine Super Power of Trust.
- Focus on what you are being called to do, because not everything is yours to do. This should make it easier to trust, if you can let your over-responsible Inner Mean Girl take a vacation, knowing that there are MANY people on this planet who are doing great work, who are here to do the things you can’t, and who want to help you. My friend and transformational artist Shiloh McCloud always says: Imagine yourself sitting in a circle of women, passing around a ball of red thread. As each woman holds her piece of the red thread we form a strong circle that is powerful enough to do anything. Now imagine cutting off your piece of the red thread. Look down at this one piece… this is what is yours to do. If we each do our part, we don’t have to do everyone else’s. Whew!!
- Slow down. Likely you are missing opportunities and working harder than you need to. By letting things go you will automatically slow down, as long as you don’t pick more up. Walk through 2011 with a heightened awareness of your pace. As one woman said to me recently, ‘Enjoy the nectar of the earth. Eat the nectar of life.” What if your life rolled like honey in 2011?
As you sort out which seeds are yours to grow, water, and take care of this year, use these questions to help you:
- What is calling me the most?
- How can I best serve? (your gifts are your service, find those gifts and give those)
- What will provide me the most stabilization? What will create structures that stabilize my life?
- What are my deepest heart’s desires for this year?
- What does my fear say I need to do, and what does my heart know is mine to do?
In case you are wondering where these telegrams from heaven about 2011 were delivered from, and you want more, I will share with you some of the wonderful angels on earth who have shared their wisdom with me, allowing me to incorporate these thoughts in my year. Check out Pamela Eakins – intuitive wonder and Phd – at www.pamelaeakins.org – and the 13 Grandmothers – www.grandmotherscouncil.org/.
“It is time for the women of the world to own their innate wisdom”
Listen. Slow Down. Stabilize.
And enjoy the nectar of life!